Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day Seven - Asia


This morning I got up 7:00, put on my shorts and t-shirt and began ascending the tallest structure on earth. The Burj Khalifa ("Caliph's Tower") in Dubai has accumulated just about every superlative possible for a man-made structure and is taller by a good measure than any other building, structure or tower, supported or not. It has the fastest elevators, the highest swimming pool, the highest bar, the highest residence, the most potential occupants (30,000 apparently) and so on. It's 828 metres to the top of the spire, or 153 cycles up and down my stairs. That's 4131 steps each way. The top floor is quite a bit lower than 828m as there is a long pointy spire at the top, but I've generally been using the stated highest point of a building for my calculations.
It took me just under two hours. I kept the pace modest to be gentler on my knees and this seems to have worked as they feel fine now.
So that's the tallest skyscraper on each continent in seven days... An odd little achievement.
Speaking of odd little achievements, last night Lorraine and I went to a Weakerthans concert that promised to feature one of their four albums. They have been performing an album a night at a different venue every night. Last night though the lead singer, John K Samson, declared that they would play through every song on all four of their albums in one marathon session. And so they did. 49 songs and three and a half hours later they were through. It was an incredible experience and, as I say, kind of an odd little achievement. It's got nothing otherwise to do with my stair climbing project, but it was much on my mind as I climbed this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment